2013 HERB / PLANT WORKSHOPS
at MOUNTAIN GARDENS
These workshops take advantage of our unique combination of diverse habitats, extensive plant collection, extraordinary library and well-equipped herb shop, plus my forty years of study and experimentation.
As a ‘botanic garden of useful plants’, one of our purposes is to introduce and promote new useful plants, for gardeners, growers, herbalists and chefs. Areas of special interest include wildfoods, medicinal herbs, (native and oriental), health-boosting (tonic, adaptogenic) plants and east-west parallels in botany and pharmacy.
Seeds and plants of most of the species discussed will be available for purchase; additionally participants will have the opportunity to purchase freshly dug, bare-root plants at a considerable saving.
Half-day workshops cost $50, all-day $100 (bring your own lunch). Some workshops will include valuable handouts.
Workshop Details and Information
2013 Calendar & Workshop Schedule
- April 19 Fri, 1:30-5pm Spring wildfoods and Sansai – Register
- April 26 Fri 1:30 – 5pm Bamboo: hardy spp., cultivation, food & craft uses; trellis making – Register
- April 27-28 Chinese herb series I ~
- May 3-5 selling plants at Asheville Herb Festival at Asheville Farmer’s Market
- May 10 Fri 1:30 – 5pm Spring wildfoods & medicinals – Register
- May 12 Sun 9:30-5pm 19th century apothecary: techniques and preparations from Eclectic herbalism – Register
- May 18-19 Chinese herb series II ~
- May 25 Sat 9:30 – 5pm Grow Chinese herbs – Register
- May 31 all day open house and tours in conjunction with Medicines from the Earth
- June 1-3 selling plants at Medicines from the Earth, Black Mtn. NC
- June 8-9 Chinese herb series III ~ Register
- June 14 Fri 1:30 – 5pm Perennial vegetables – Register
- June 29 Sat 1:30 – 5pm Wasabi – Register
- July 6 Sat 9:30 – 5pm pao zhi – Chinese herb processing – Register
- July 13-14 Chinese herb series IV ~ Register
- July 19 Fri 1:30 – 5pm Bamboo: hardy spp., cultivation, food & craft uses; trellis making – Register
- July 20 Sat 9:30 – 5pm Making preparations from Chinese herbs by Chinese methods – Register
- August 1 Thurs 9:30 – 5pm Paradise Gardening – Register
- Aug 3-5 SE Permaculture Gathering at nearby Arthur Morgan School, free tour
- Aug 16 Fri 1:30 – 5pm Bupin: tonic & rejuvenative herbs in garden and kitchen – Register
- August 17-18 Chinese herb series V ~ Register
- August 24 Sat 9:30 – 5pm Grow Chinese herbs – Register
- Aug 25 Sun 9:30 – 5pm Useful plants – Register
- August 31 – Sept 1 Chinese herb series VI ~ Register
- September 6 Fri 1:30 – 5pm Seed Saving – Register
- September 7 Sat 9:30 – 5pm pao zhi – Chinese herb processing – Register
- September 13 Fri 1:30 – 5pm Perennial Vegetables – Register
- September 20 Fri 1:30 – 5pm Longevity Tonics and Rejuvenative Herbs as Meads and Liqueurs – Register
Workshops are priced as follows*:
- Half-day: $50
- One day: $100
- *plus registration fee
- ~ Please see Herb Series Page for pricing and details.