2014 HERB / PLANT WORKSHOPS
at MOUNTAIN GARDENS
These workshops take advantage of our unique combination of diverse habitats, extensive plant collection, extraordinary library and well-equipped herb shop, plus my forty years of study and experimentation.
As a ‘botanic garden of useful plants’, one of our purposes is to introduce and promote new useful plants, for gardeners, growers, herbalists and chefs. Areas of special interest include wildfoods, medicinal herbs, (native and oriental), health-boosting (tonic, adaptogenic) plants and east-west parallels in botany and pharmacy.
Seeds and plants of most of the species discussed will be available for purchase; additionally participants will have the opportunity to purchase freshly dug, bare-root plants at a considerable saving.
Half-day workshops cost $50, all-day $100 (bring your own lunch). Some workshops will include valuable handouts.
*At Mountain Gardens, we strive to create an inclusive and accessible learning environment for students of all socioeconomic backgrounds. Sliding scale, barter, and work trade options may be available upon request.
Workshop Details and Information
2014 Calendar & Workshop Schedule
- April 6, Sun., 1:30-5pm – Spring Wildfoods and Medicinals – ID, propagation, cultivation, harvest Register
- April 19, Sat., 1:30 – 5pm – Spring Wildfoods and Medicinals – ID, propagation, cultivation, harvest Register
- April 26, Sat., 9:30am-5pm – How to Grow Chinese Herbs Register
- May 9, Fri., 1:30-5pm – Bamboo – hardy species, cultivation, food & craft uses, trellis making Register
- May 10, Sat., 1:30-5pm – Perennial Vegetables Register
- May 11, Sun., 1:30-5pm – Making a Woodland Garden
- May 17-18, 9am-5pm – Chinese Herb Series I Register
- May 24, Sat., 9:30am-5pm – Pao Zhi: Chinese Herb Processing (CEU Credits Offered) Register
- May 31 all day open house and tours in conjunction with Medicines from the Earth
- June 7-8, 9am-5pm – Chinese Herb Series II Register
- June 14-15, 9am-5pm – Chinese Herb Series III Register
- June 28-29, 9am-5pm – Chinese Herb Series IV Register
- June 30, Mon., 1:30-5pm – Wasabi Propagation and Cultivation Techniques Register
- July 19-20, 9am-5pm – Chinese Herb Series V Register
- July 30, Thurs., 9:30am-5pm – Paradise Gardening Theory and Practice
- Aug. 1-3, Free Tours in conjunction with SE Permaculture Gathering at nearby Arthur Morgan School
- Aug. 9, Sat., 1:30-5pm -Bamboo – hardy species, cultivation, food & craft uses, trellis making Register
- Aug. 10, Sun., 9:30am-5pm – Pao Zhi: Chinese Herb Processing (CEU Credits Offered) Register
- Aug. 16-17, 9am-5pm – Chinese Herb Series VI Register
- Aug. 23, Sat., 9:30am-5pm – Making Preparations from Chinese Herbs by Chinese Methods Register
- Aug. 30, Sat., 9:30am-5pm – 19th Century Apothecary: techniques and preparations from Eclectic herbalism Register
- Sept. 6, Sat., 1:30-5pm – Seed-saving Register
- Sept. 13, Sat., 1:30-5pm – Bupin: Tonic and Rejuvenative Cuisine with Chinese Longevity Herbs Register
- Sept. 27, Sat., 1:30-5pm – Preparing Longevity Tonics and Rejuventaive Herbs as Meads and Liqueurs Register
Workshops are priced as follows*:
- Half-day: $50
- One day: $100
- *plus registration fee
- ~ Please see Herb Series Page for pricing and details.